At one time or another we all face difficult and/or stressful situations. A compassionate and accepting attitude, toward self and others, may notably reduce the distress we feel at these times and may become a profound personal resource. In the CMC course we explore and cultivate skills that may help us intentionally choose compassionate and accepting thoughts and actions. This in turn allows us to better relate to self and others.
Cultivating Mindful Compassion (CMC) is offered either in-person or online as a multi-week curriculum, or through weekend workshops. Blending Buddhism, Taoism, contemporary psychology, and scientific research, CMC is designed to help you develop the qualities of empathy, kindness, acceptance, and compassion for self and others—ultimately providing an overall sense of well-being. This course blends elements of Stanford University’s Compassion Cultivation Training with elements of Taoism and Buddhism.
The online course is offered over Google Hangouts, with a maximum class size of 14.
CMC is a compassion meditation course offering a unique blend of contemplative traditions and pragmatic tools and techniques to help you:
- Engage your inner critic with compassion by embracing acceptance for self and others
- Release mental or emotional blocks by moving toward peace and creativity while dissolving anxiety and depression
- Reduce rumination by settling and focusing your mind, expanding awareness of the current moment
- Communicate authentically and from the heart
- Calm the mind and direct thoughts more positively
- Integrate compassionate attitude and action into everyday life
- Balance life’s challenges with a positive outlook
- Enhance vitality by recognizing and harmonizing with your body’s natural energy flow
Resulting benefits include:
- Strengthening your ability to be present and resilient in the face of difficulty, responding rather than reacting
- Enhancing your ability to feel compassion and acceptance for self and others
- Increasing your capacity to authentically engage, communicate, and collaborate in relationships, both at home and at work
- Reinforcing your self-awareness, your ability to stay present, and the strength to make appropriate choices when feeling overwhelmed
- Augmenting your job satisfaction and fulfillment
- Living a more peaceful, nurturing life at home or with family
- Instruction of meditation techniques including: focused attention, mindfulness, loving kindness, mudra meditation, qi gong
- Large group discussion around a variety of themes related to acceptance and compassion for self and others
- Small group/pair exercises pertaining to the week’s theme
- Guided meditation audio tracks for daily use which help develop kindness, empathy, acceptance, and compassion
- Real-world informal practices to help you maintain daily compassionate thoughts and actions
Appropriate for those who are learning meditation for the first time, or wish to continue to develop their skills.
CMC is offered as a multi-week format (online or in-person), or a 2-day intensive workshop. See current course schedules here.
If you can benefit from developing any of these skills, please join us for our next series.